What should I do if I’m involved in an accident?
- Don’t panic or drive away from the scene.
- Don’t accept blame, even if the other driver tries to make you.
- Don’t offer to pay for any damage at the scene.
- Collect as much information as possible – names, phone numbers and addresses of drivers/pedestrians involved and any witnesses.
- Note the number of passengers in the car and the time and place the accident happened.
- Write a short description of how the accident happened.
- If you can, take a photograph. Try to get the other driver’s number plate in the photo.
- If the other driver won’t give you their personal or insurance details, call the police. They may not have insurance.
- If the police are already there, take a note of the officer’s name and badge number.
- Contact your insurer as soon as possible.
Thanks to the Clydesdale Bank for this advice. December 2017