Helping people to regain independence at home by providing practical and emotional support whilst maintaining their dignity
|The British Red Cross first call service aims to provide short-term practical and emotional support at home for up to 8 weeks helping people regain their independence.|
- Support when you come home from hospital
- Assist people to live more independently in their own home
- Companionship and social visits by our staff and volunteers or telephone support if visits are not required
- Practical help including light housework, assistance with meals/drinks, shopping and collecting prescriptions
- Assistance with filling in forms
The service is invaluable in assisting people to build their self-confidence and their ability to cope. During the 8 weeks we will provide additional advice and support by signposting to other organisations if required. Where our support is not suitable we will do our best to enable a smooth process of referral to other services as appropriate.
Our service is delivered by fully trained staff and volunteers who will listen in a confidential and non-judgemental way.
Who can benefit from this service?
Our service is available to any adult. Referrals can be accepted from:
- family members
- friends and neighbours
- adult social care, hospitals and other health care and voluntary sector professionals
If you are making a referral on behalf of someone else please ensure that you have their permission to do so. To make a referral please contact us on:
Tel: 0345 054 7171 Fax: 01476 572699 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
This service is funded by donations received.
How you can help
Volunteering for the British Red Cross is a great way to learn new skills and make a difference to people’s lives. As a First Call volunteer, you will have the rewarding experience of helping people who need a little extra support at home to maintain their independence. If you would like to become a volunteer or find out more about what is involved, please contact:
British Red Cross, Red Cross House, Hatton Close, Moulton Park, Northampton NN3 6SU Tel: 0345 054 7171
We welcome people from all backgrounds and sections of the community.